EMAIL support@unlimited-space.com or CALL us on 1300 850 071

Domain Availability Search

Joomla configuration.php permissions issue

If you need assistance with any of our services, post your questions here

Joomla configuration.php permissions issue

Postby apolon on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:27 am

I'm new to unlimited space/joomla and just got Joomla installed using Fantastico. It all installed fine, but the default installation doesn't provide write access to the configuration.php file which stopped me from making any Global Configuration changes. The short term solution was to change the permissions of the configuration.php file to be 0666. I'm uncomfortable with this as I would assume the Joomla application would be running as the user that owns the web site files.

Is there any way to change the configuration.php permissions back to 0644 and still have the ability to make Global Configuration changes?
apolon

Re: Joomla configuration.php permissions issue

Postby Lee G on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:37 am

Hi apolon,

I don't think it's possible to have the permissions set to 644 and be able to edit the file through Joomla. However, you've got a couple of options.

1. You could set the permissions to 666 while you are setting everything up, then change it back to 644 once everything is working as you like it.

2. Edit the file on your computer, then upload it to the server through FTP or the File Manger in CPanel.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

Lee
Lee Gaywood | Company Director | Unlimited-Space.com
Helping your business succeed online.
Web Hosting
Lee G
Site Admin

Postby apolon on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:12 am

I manually changed the permissions on the configuration.php file to 0666 which solved the immediate problem. Unfortunately I keep getting the permissions popping again on different files. There's also warning messages such as "The parameter file /templates/ja_teline/params.ini is unwritable!" appearing where the permission is 0555 indicating its not write-able but the CMS does manage to update the file. In that case attempting to change the permissions gives me an "operation not permitted" error. The files were from an imported Joomla template.

These various permissions problems lead me to believe that either the Joomla Fantastico installation process is not working correctly as far as permissions are concerned or Joomla is running as the wrong user given the installation process.

I should be able to install Joomla via Fantastico and not get any file permission issues. How can I re-set thing up so there are no file permissions issues?
apolon

Postby apolon on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:25 pm

Some more information on the permissions issue:
Basically all of the files as part of the original Joomla install are owned by the expected user name. Any files created by Joomla after this are not owned by the expected user but by the "nobody" user instead. Examples of Joomla file creation include importing any extensions or uploading of files from within Joomla.

The worst thing about the files owned by "nobody" is that I can't change the permissions or ownership of any of these files via cpanel. Basically I need the environment modified so that any Joomla file creation actions result in files owned by the correct user and not the "nobody" or other users.
apolon

Postby samuraiw on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:29 am

apolon wrote: "The parameter file /templates/ja_teline/params.ini is unwritable!" appearing where the permission is 0555 indicating its not write-able but the CMS does manage to update the file. In that case attempting to change the permissions gives me an "operation not permitted" error. The files were from an imported Joomla template.
I should be able to install Joomla via Fantastico and not get any file permission issues. How can I re-set thing up so there are no file permissions issues?

When you install Joomla, you have to change the permission when editing the config and change them back again to unwritable, this is not automatically set to writable for security reasons, and believe me, I have been hacked when I accidently left it writable, so it is wise to do what you have to and change them back. When you install a template through Joomla install it automatically assigns the owner to the one who wrote the template, you have two choices.

1. Upload the template yourself, via ftp and then you own it.
2. Kindly ask US to change permission on the file to you.

Hope this helps.
samuraiw

Postby Terry on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi,

If you are using Joomla 1.5 you can avoid the permission issues and Owner 99 being discussed here and in other threads on this Forum by simply enabling the FTP Settings in the Global Configuration and Joomla will then use FTP for all its updates and installing and you can have all your permissions set to 644(files) 755(folder/Directories). No more failed installs of extensions because of permissions and no more fiddling with FTP clients to give all the folders 777 permission. :)

1. Set Up FTP Account in your cPanel.
You can use your default FTP account, however for better security I suggest you set up an FTP account just to be used by Joomla and call it something meaningful. Select cPanel icon FTP Accounts and enter the following.

Login: Joomla @yourdomain.com.au (I have used joomla but the name can be anything)
Password: whatever you like but you need to remember it for later.
Directory: /public/joomdir (Joomdir needs to be the directory where Joomla is installed)

Click Create FT account

2. Update Joomla with FTP details.
Select Global Configuration and then the Server tab so that you see 'FTP Settings' in the bottom left corner and enter as below.

Enable FTP: Yes
FTP Host: 127.0.0.1
FTP Port: 21
FTP Username: joomla@yourdomain.com.au (or whatever you entered in Step 1)
FTP Password: (whatever you entered in Step 1.)
FTP Root: (Leave blank as we set the default directory as joomdir in Step 1.)

Now Save or Apply the settings.

If you have permission issues and cannot save the FTP Settings, open file manager in cPanel and edit joomdir/configuration.php and you will see the FTP settings. change the 0 to a 1 to enable them before you save it.

Notes::
If you look in the System Information box you should see all directories(excluding CACHE and TMP) as unwriteable. This is okay as FTP is going to do the writing and not Joomla

Using cPanel File Manager or FTP Client change all the permissions to 644 for Files and 755 for Directories(777 for /cache and /tmp).

If you still have extensions or what not with owner 99 either ask Unlimited Tech support to change them or what i did was to disable the FTP settings for moment, uninstall all the offending extensions via Joomla dialogues, turn FTP settings to enabled and then reinstalled everything correctly.

If you are doing a new install of Joomla, do Step 1. and set up the FTP userid first and then when asked during the install you can enter the information as described in Step 2.

Terry
Terry

Postby Shannon W on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:48 am

Hi Parson,

Since we installed suPHP on the servers earlier this year, you won't be able to use permissions of 777.

Would you be able to send an email to support@unlimited-space.com with details of your account and the file location? We'll be able to take a look for you.

Thanks.
Shannon Walsh | Customer Service | Unlimited-Space.com
http://www.unlimited-space.com | P: 1300 850 071
Shannon W
Site Admin

Return to Technical Support